Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Beginning

     I'm definitely a type A personality. I stress over everything, I love making lists (I just made a few more), and I took a personality quiz in one of my Intro to Psych classes so now I know for sure. Despite my inability to relax, I was simply obsessive, not compulsive. My life was chaos. I weighed the most I ever have in my life, my house is a constant mess, my kids have no structure.
     I was recently  moved from teaching CTR4/CTR5 to teaching Sunbeams; sweet little 3 year olds, just coming into primary with the big kids. How fun! Expect my oldest boy, Zeke, he is a Sunbeam this year too. It's hard to believe that time has gone by so quickly!! My sweet little baby is now begging to go to preschool and ride a school bus. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, as I sat in the front row with my own son and two other young children, I had an eye opening experience.
    Ezekiel, my pride and joy was an absolute terror! He rolled around all over the floor crying because I wouldn't let him eat crackers, get a drink of water, or because we weren't singing to song he wanted. He was running around the primary room while I struggled to regain control of the situation. I didn't. We came home and he was forced to take a nap for making bad choices.
    As I sat in my recliner, trying to calm my nerves after all was said and done, I realized Zeke and I needed more structure. He has gotten away with too much for too long. While I was pregnant with Zach, I was huge, in school full-time, diabetic, and exhausted. I was too tired to properly discpline my toddler. And now it was coming back to get me.
    So I did what I do best. I made lists. I made Zeke a picture schedule, showing him what he is allowed to do at what times everyday. I'll post a link to that later. I also made a list for myself, including bedtime and wake up time, exercise and daily chores (also post later). I'm apparently a child at heart and need a set bed time too, otherwise, according to my husband "You get grouchy". I made good choice/bad choice jars, which have been working out great and I totally recommend to any parent with young kids who are having trouble making good choices. (See my post titled Good Choice/Bad choice jars-coming soon).
     It's been two weeks since "the incident". Last Sunday Zeke was much better, although he struggled toward the end. Its a three-hour event going to church, so I don't blame him too much. I am sticking to my guns, no matter how pitiful those beautiful brown eyes look when he looks at me. I have to keep reminding myself, that its for his own good. Even when he gets made and screams "You ugly Momma!" For the sake of my own sanity, I need this. I need my lists, and my schedules, and meal plans, and all that other annoying keep-on-track stuff. The truth is, with out it, I'd lose my mind.
    It's only been 2 weeks, but I see changes. I'm making changes. Not just with setting a routine with my boys, but healthy, livestyle changes as well. I hope through this blog, I can stay on track. Look back and see my progress and share what I have learned that works or doesn't work for our family. I must go now, I have a crying baby to attend to in the living room.
    Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment